Sunday, March 9, 2008

Across The Universe: The Art of Blogging

"Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe" - "Across The Universe" by the Beatles


My high school English teacher was something else. Don't get me wrong, I learned a great deal over the course of my high school career from high school English. She had an unusual approach to the subject that didn't resonate with some of the more unimaginative denizens of my high school. One of the things she always made us do was write in a diary or a journal. Since we always had writing assignments, I later felt journal writing was a tremendous help. Athletes need to maintain their training to keep at the top of their game. Writers needed to do likewise. At first, though, the exercise seemed kind of unusual and I had to stretch to find subjects to write about. To wit: in Grade 9, I was composing reviews of TV shows that I had seen the night before (I had missed the opportunity to engage in a debate with my teacher over the merits and demerits of professional wrestling). But as I got older and gained more experiences socially and otherwise, journal writing began to feel cathartic. By Grade 12, the problem was pruning down my venting (and occasional) heartbreak-fueled pathos into something that a.) could be read by my teacher easily and b.) wouldn't insure that I would be sent to an adolescent psychologist(the latter might have been a concern - a poem that I wrote and submitted to the yearbook was rejected because it was deemed "too dark"). In a sense, what she was having us do was blog back when the Internet was the province of a select few tech geeks worldwide. The only difference is my teacher was the only person who ever read my journals. Blogs can be seen worldwide by whoever chooses to read them. What was once a private act of creative therapy has now become very public. Otherwise, it's the same principle.

I have nothing profound to add (you are definitely not reading the works of the Great Unknown Philosopher), but I do have thoughts, opinions, feelings about everything that I am passionate about. I want to share all of that not for recognition, but the (hopefully) noble and altruistic hope that what I write might connect with someone. I will be writing whatever is on my mind. Everything from my opinions on current affairs to movies I've seen, records that I've loved and meant a great deal to me and some recollections from my life which have left a tremendous impact. Hopefully what I will write will make you laugh, think and maybe cry. Anything worth doing artistically should make you feel. The Internet is the greatest tool of communication we have. Let's use it to share everything that we love, our concerns, and hope that we gain greater understanding of this tumultuous world.

Peace,
September Boy

No comments: